Galaxy of Tar at Afro-Punk Festival 2010

Being on staff at the 2010 AfroPunk Festival was hard work and a lot of fun at the same time.  I've been wanting to share some of my experiences, but life's been a bit crazy and I haven't had the chance to really get my thoughts together.  So I'm going to focus on a couple of highlights that I experienced over the two-day event.

One of the bands I looked forward to was Galaxy of Tar.  I first learned about the duo when I started blogging for Afro-Punk.  When you're promoting an event, it's important to know as much as possible about the bands.  I heard their music and loved it.  The best way to describe it is a harsh melodic and industrial sound.

The lead singer is America's Next Top Model cycle 4 winner Naima Mora with Elias Diaz on drums, Nemanja Rebic on guitar and Samuel Fernandez on bass.  As one of the earlier bands on the first day, not many attendees got the chance to see them.  I also missed out because of working backstage.  Luckily, after leaving the festival for a moment, they came back and I got the chance to hang with Naima and Elias for a bit.  One of the most surreal moments of the day was when I asked them to take a picture with me.  Naima had the idea of jumping while Coby Kennedy took the picture.  Unfortunately my digital camera takes a moment to capture an image.  We wound up jumping up and down over and over again leading to some random and funny images.

Wait! We're not ready!


Okay, Go! No Elias you're too late!


Well, okay then, let's try fierce.  Elias that's not fierce!


Almost!


Okay, let's try a nice pose.


This is going to have to do, then.
Category: 1 comments

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks fun. :D

Post a Comment