Black Nerds. Need I say more?

I have a confession to make.  I have a bit of a reputation among some of my girlfriends for being attracted to a particular type of guy.  My friend Lisa is always quick to remind me about the time when the model/bartender at her local watering hole was doing everything and anything to get me to notice him...and I was wrapped up in conversation with two skinny, computer lovin', comic book reading nerds.


So I had to control my excitement when a friend introduced me to the BNN - The Black Nerds Network.  Yes, you heard me right.


The BNN was founded by two black Brits who realized that the Afro/Caribbean culture is more likely to promote and celebrate a "ghetto" lifestyle than any other group of people.  So they decided to promote the idea that it's good to be a NERD!


The dynamic duo started with a myspace page that generated 3000 friends.  Of course, being the nerds that they are, they've migrated over to Facebook and beyond.



'Black people sometimes believe our own bad 


press and behave accordingly, even adopting       
negative stereotypical behavior as a way of
throwing it back at society.'
(Glenn C. Loury)

Before we go further, I want to say that there have always been black nerds in mainstream culture.  Here are just a few:


 Barack Obama                


                                            Garrett Morgan
                                                                                            Inventor of the gas mask and traffic light

Benjamin Banneker


  Okay, well, you get the picture.

  Now one can't just show up and declare that they are a black nerd.  Oh no!  It takes time and dedication plus the ability to withstand constant taunts of not being cool or not loving your race enough to get bad grades and talk street.

You must know what a Commodore 64 is, you must follow the Boondocks religiously.  Wyatt Cenac must be a comedic hero for keepin it real on The Daily Show with John Stewart.  You must be able to refer to obscure references to Transformers, He-Man, She-Ra, X-Men, Spider Man, The Green Lantern, Star Trek, Dr Who, Star Wars, The Dark Crystal, Fraggle Rock, The Cosby Show, A Man Called Hawk, The A-Team, The Wiz, and Fat Albert in order to truly explain the point that you're trying to prove.

The BNN is primarily a blog that follows design and culture.  Since it was created by black Brits it has a stronger Afro/Carribean influence than a similar blog might have if it was created in the US.  Anyone who is creative and a free thinker is welcome to join the site.

Trolling through the site might turn up postings about fashion, design, tattoos and art.  Once you've crossed the threshold you can sport your allegiance by wearing one of the graphic tees that the site sells.  And watch you friends turn green with envy as you stroll down the street carrying one of these bad boys!





I know you'll be getting yours ASAP!

As for those model/bartender types who try so desperately to get my attention, it's not that difficult!  Just ask me to go see Predators when it comes out.  When we meet, don't wear anything that costs more than your rent - or your electric bill - and we'll be fine.
Category: 2 comments

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loooooove Wyatt Cenac of Jon Stewart's Daily Show! Thanks for the tip will check out the BNN!
...Nice piece!

Anonymous said...

Amen. I'd like to also give a shout out to ghetto nerds: people who live and survive in impoverished neighborhoods while getting their read on.

Post a Comment